Tuesday, April 15, 2008

What would you do?


A friend rang me this morning to wish me a happy birthday and to tell me he had a crisis in the underwear department as a result of his reading of this blog and connecting with the intention behind it. In said underwear department, he mused: Do I need those new underpants? I have 10 pairs already. Shouldn't I just wash the ones I have more regularly? Freaky. Did this friend hear me walking down the hall this morning grumbling about how I was wearing a really old pair and absolutely needed to buy some new nickers? Apparently he also had a similar crisis in the shorts department. But shorts have no place in my wardrobe so I couldn't connect with that one at all! Shorts cannot be beautiful. But this, this is beautiful. The picture above is from her etsy site.

Lovely lover then came home at sunset and told me he'd done "something bad". From his tone, I thought he may have hassled a local drop tail lizard with a stick on his way home. But he said he'd bought a new tennis racquet with a little pot of cash he'd been saving. And as I reminded him of our 'not buying it' status, he then said he'd also saved the same amount for me to spend on 'whatever I like, as long as it is for yourself'. How much do we love that man? Ten out of ten. But then the strangest thing happened. I couldn't actually think of anything I wanted to buy. But then I remembered that dress (or any of the others gaiaconceptions makes) and now I am looking at a few days/weeks/months/years/a lifetime of internal debate about whether I should.

Pros: A piece designed, sewn, and dyed using eco-friendly fabrics such as local organic cotton, hemp, raw silk, and organic wool. Custom made. Small home based producer. Absolutely beautiful piece of attire.
Cons: Do I need another dress? Can I cheat on my pledge?

What would you do?

1 comment:

Corrie said...

that is such a funny story! lovely to meet you yeserday and looking forward to seeing how you go not shopping......I try but with new babies coming its hard but instead we've bought second hand pram (where else could you get an emmalunga with a polka dot interior), bouncer, carrier and taking anything that comes our way. Hubby is happy because he's saving money and I'm happy to be reusing!

Corrie:)